taken outside of Margaret’s locker at PSU
Posts tagged ‘Art school’
in no particular order…
1. got married 🙂
in our church and had a lovely reception at the Podkrepa
2. graduated college
3. went to Washington DC
4. went wine tasting in a school bus
5. visited Crater Lake
6. had a painting get accepted into a show
7. went to the coast for Valentine’s
8. took many many, walks with my beloved around the city; some of them very long walks..
9. went on the tram by OHSU
10. threw a great dinner party in our living room
11. watched fire works from the City Grill
12. went to San Francisco and visited family
13. saw those cool jelly fish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
14. taught yoga
15. learned how to screen print
16. went to Livingroom Theater many times and saw many movies
17. saw the Christmas lights at Peacock Lane
18. spun wool
19. knitted a shrug
20. went to the lovely 50th Anniversary party of Bob and Sylvia and danced with my husband
21. Autumn Supper at the Andersons
22. had mimosas at brunch at Jake’s
23. in fact..I’ve enjoyed many of Portland’s eateries..
24. run with Luka
26. I’ve painted
27. and made books
28. made lovely dinners for my husband
29. went to a U of O football game
30. watched my step son play high school football
31. went to many art shows
32. celebrated Emily’s birthday in her backyard
33. rode my bike to work
34. helped decorate my church for Christmas and hung out afterwards
35. hosted an adult Formation mtg at my house
36. ate soup with good people at Tamara’s house
37. planted kiwi
38. had my house painted
39 …and my oil tank decommissioned
40. cleaned out my closets
41. made mulled wine
42. read a book, finally!! in fact I read several
43. recovered cpb’s iPhone from a homeless man
44. hosted Thanksgiving dinner
45. played bocce at the Trunz’s
46. and enjoyed fondue at their house too
47. went to two parties at Roxanne’s and Johnny’s
48. played trivia..and even won a few times
49. took many baths
50. went to a BBQ at Mike B’s
51. grew vegetables in my garden..and ate them
52. ate homemade icecream..cpb made it
53. rode on the scooter with cpb all over town
54. ordered pizza at a tiny airport on the Oregon coast
55. spent time with my grown children
56. bought a camera took many photographs
………57. published my 400th post on wordpress
I finished school. Really finished it…as in got a degree finished. I can only say I am relieved. As much I know that going to college is a privilege, as much as art school is really a luxury, I am relieved. School stresses me out. I wish it had been different, that I could have enjoyed it more, but that’s not how it was.
Maybe it was the constant justifying of my going to art school (“yes, art school…what do I intend to do my degree? Why be an artist of course..”); maybe it was that I am freak around getting a good a grade and not disappointing anyone; maybe it was putting the house on the market and getting married while attending my final quarter of school. I am glad I finished…that’s all I can say.
So it’s the middle of December in Portland now. It’s cold, although not rainy; and I’m not feeling all that Christmasy. I am not feeling all that much of anything but tired and stressed. I went to mass on Sunday; the sermon made me nostalgic for the passionate and energetic self I have misplaced. Maybe I’m just getting old.
Chris is off this week, well most of this week. We didn’t have a honeymoon after the wedding; he went back to work and I went back to school. Maybe we can honeymoon now. I think we need a little rest. And some fun. I want to laugh; I want to see new things; I want to read and knit and paint…paint just to paint….I want Chris to relax…I want him to write and listen to music and eat well. I want to see sunshine and take my dog for a walk.I’d really like to see my children, but will have to settle for phone calls and texts. RJ told me yesterday, “I’m a grown up mom, I live on my own now.” I guess we’re all grown up now.
What keeps me up at night these days
…selling the house for a reasonable price
… buying a new home
…the state of the world today
…scary right wing Republicans
…coming up with good ideas in school
…coming up with great ideas
…leaving Luka at home all day
…what I’m going to do with all the stuff I have once we move
…being a good wife
…being a good mom
…keeping the house clean
…finding time to do the yard
…getting a good grade
…getting out of shape
…being too skinny
…being too fat
…annoying my husband with the above
…my term paper
…too much to do in too little time
…finding time for my love
…making it to church
…paying my bills on time
…finding a way to make money
…being an artist
…being taken seriously
…worrying about people think of me
an incomplete list…
I leave it here…all my worries, big and small..here on the blog. I have much to be great grateful for..I will be grateful.
Another word for screen printing.
This is a piece in progress. This semester has been a good one in that I am learning how to paint more skillfully and intentionally. A few weeks ago my teacher said my painting was hesitant. Monday she said my work was confident. I know what she means. I have been afraid to paint. Afraid of wasting paint and canvas on a bad piece. But the reality is that you have to earn your skill as a painter. One has to paint a lot of mediocre and just plain awful works before good art happens. I have done my share.
art is the only way to run away without leaving home…Twyla Tharp
If you grow up like a nomad, picking up and leaving often, the idea of running away takes on different meaning
there are more bad days than good days in art school..
This week in figure painting…abstract..I love abstract. After a week of realism, this week was lovely.
I really should retake this picture…One of my latest school assignments. we had to paint something from our art room…art hallway environment. I painted my lock.
I call this Ode to a Lock. Not really. I should call it locker 173.